Sunday, October 23, 2022

79.5 Friendship

 79.5 Friendship

Question:

            When is friendship at its very best?

Friendship may be said to be on its throne when it possesses the power

of always supporting a friend under all circumstances in life.           (Couplet – 789)

 

நட்பிற்கு வீற்றிருக்கை யாதெனின் கொட்பின்றி

ஒல்லும்வாய் ஊன்றும் நிலை.                                 (குறள் - 789)

 

Explanation:

            My dad was very knowledgeable and well-versed in spiritual matters. He had authored commentaries on famous texts like Thiruvasakam and Thirumantram. Many people used to come to our house to discuss religious and spiritual matters with my dad. One day, a close friend of my dad came to see him. The friend who came said, “Sir, I heard your daughter’s marriage had been fixed. So, I thought you would be very happy. But it looks like something is bothering you. What is the matter?” My dad said, “I am really happy about the marriage. But I was concerned about the money needed for the wedding. That is all. Nothing else.”  After listening to my dad, the visitor went to his car and brought a checkbook. He took out four checks and signed them, and gave them to my dad without writing the amount on those checks. He said, “Sir, please use these checks to withdraw any amount of money you want. If my money is useful to you, it will give me great joy.”  My dad reluctantly accepted the checks.

                My sister’s marriage was celebrated very well. After a few months, my dad paid 
his friend back the money he had taken from his account. My dad’s friend helped him without 
being asked and without any hesitation whatsoever. My dad’s friend’s timely help without 
hesitation is an example of what Valluvar says in Couplet 789.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letter to the Readers

  Dear friends, vanakkam. Thanks for all your interest in this blog and your overwhelming support. As a result of the readers’ interest ...